Friday, November 21, 2008



I started reading this book about a month ago and just barely finished, but wanted to blog how I felt about it. It is about a family where their 2 year old daughter was diagnosed with AML which is Lukemia. They realize that their daughter will need lots of blood transplants, bone marrow transplants, etc... so they go to a genetics doctor and create a baby that is the exact match for their 2 year old daughter. At first all they needed was the cord blood for a transplant that was supposed to work and then it turned into her sister always needing something else from this girl. The genetically matched girl decides to hire a lawyer to get medical emancipation from her parents after they decide that she will donate a kidney to her sister without asking what she thought. The whole book I thought one way until the end and it completely changes your whole perspective. It was a really interesting read, but be warned it is a complete tear jerker!!! And the author does use the F word in it sometimes. It is coming to video in 2009 so I am way excited to go see it. It will have Cameron Diaz and Abigail Breslin and a bunch of other great actors. Just thought I'd share!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

This book was so shocking and a real emotional roller coaster for me. I still don't know how I feel about it all, but I will probably see the movie (with tissues in my purse)

Melissa (Murdoch) McKinley said...

i want to borrow this from you. i don't know why i want torture myself...i'm such a crybaby!!

Adam and Dantzelle said...

I love that we all like to read! We should start an official book club during the summer! It is a nice way to get together and have treats and talk about books! I will definantly have to read that book when I get home! And then we can all go to the movie! Fun! We won't be getting home until the end of January. :< I will still miss Mckinleys birth unless you want to keep her in for a few weeks longer! haha

Adrienne and Darren said...

I will have to read that book. Thanks for sharing the info!! Thanks for the comment. You know that you are sooo beautiful, and when I said sisters I meant you and stacy. We are so excited to see you this week. Love A

Cherri said...

I warned you about how intense it was! I have liked most of her other books, but if you check out one with the phrase "daisy-chain" in it, take it back to the library - I couldn't handle the imagery that phrase provoked, and I teach high school age kids!

They all are pretty intense, and very thought provoking, but sometimes have pretty adult themes and profane language.